Valerie Barnhart is a founding partner of Perera Barnhart. Valerie focuses her practice on Business Litigation, Business Transactions, Data Privacy and Security, and Employment matters.
Valerie advises clients in all aspects of business and risk management, such as contractual matters, purchase and sale of assets, non-compete agreements, formation of business entities, subcontractor agreements, customer contracts, shareholder agreements, operating agreements, data privacy compliance, and data breach response.
Passionate about technology and cybersecurity, Valerie is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) accredited by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Valerie also serves as General Counsel to Infiltration Labs, a digital forensics and cybersecurity company.
Valerie is as a regular lecturer and author with respect to corporate and cyber security matters. Some examples of the presentations she has given include:
- Contract Law for Business Owners, August 2014
- Cybersecurity In An Insecure World, Digital Marketing in a Mobile World Symposium, February 2017
- Cybersecurity Issues in the Medical Marijuana Industry, Broward County Bar Association Medical Marijuana Legalization Summit, February 2017
- Cyber Law, 2017 Tamarac Business to Business Expo, February 2017
- Best Practices on Cyber Risk Management in the Insurance Industry, 2017
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy: The Dangers Facing You & Your Business, July 2016
- Best Practices on Cyber Risk Assessment, Management and Remediation, February 2016
- Locking the Cybersafe: Cybersecurity Obligations in the Law Office, 2015 Broward County Bar Association Bench and Bar Convention, October 2015
- Beyond the Breach and How to Protect it All: Data Protection and Cybersecurity…..Don’t be the next target!, April 2015
Valerie’s publications include:
- Getting Engaged: Make 2016 the Year of Professional Involvement, The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division Blog Posts, December 28, 2015
- Ready, Set, Breach: Data Security in the Hospitality Industry, Florida Restaurant and Lodging, January/February/March 2015
- Employee Data Privacy Issues: Risk and Responsibility in Cyberincidents, Westlaw Journal, February 18, 2015
- Hacking Hospitality, Leisure and Hospitality International, Winter 2014
- Knowing Evil When We See It: An Attempt to Standardize Heinous, Atrocious and Cruel, Nova Law Review, 2009
A dedicated alumnus, Valerie is an adjunct professor at Nova Southeastern University.
- Defended flea market against federal contributory copyright and trademark lawsuit brought by luxury handbag company for the alleged sale of counterfeit goods by vendors. The case proceeded to a jury trial and settled midway through the trial.
- Represented transferee against claims seeking recovery of more than $5,000,000 in a federal bankruptcy adversary proceeding to recover fraudulent transfers arising from a Ponzi scheme. Settled the case for approximately twenty (20%) of the total recovery sought by the bankruptcy trustee.
- Defended subcontractor against a third-party claim for common law indemnification arising out of a dispute over defective construction. Less than five (5) months into the litigation, obtained voluntary dismissal of client from lawsuit.
- Represented co-owner of multimillion dollar technology business in seeking judicial dissolution of the corporation and a division of corporate assets. Obtained dismissal of all counts of adverse party’s counterclaim and settled cased for a seven-figure sum in favor of client.
- Represented minority owner in dispute involving ownership interest in multimillion dollar electronic cigarette business. Successfully established ownership interest of client based on an oral contract and obtained a significant judgment for damages.
- Defended client, a contractor, against a claim for breach of contract.Had Plaintiff’s pleadings stricken and obtained judgment in favor of client, and successfully recovered client’s attorney’s fees as sanctions for repeated violations of court orders.
- Drafted HIPAA compliant information security policies for pediatric medical practice.
- Represented physician in multimillion dollar secured sale of medical practice with multiple locations.
- Represented employee of addiction treatment center in negotiation and drafting of multi-year employment agreement and compensation package.
- Rising Star, Business Litigation, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016, 2017
- 40 Under 40 Rising Star, Daily Business Review, 2014
- Rising Star, Leaders in Law, 2014
- 2016 Alumnus of the Year, Nova Southeastern University Student Life Achievement Awards
- 2016 Committee Chair Award, Broward County Bar Association
- Most Productive Board Member, Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, 2015
- Leadership Broward, Women Leading Broward (2017 Class)
- Board of Directors, Broward County Bar Association
- Miami Electronic Crimes Task Force (MECTF)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Trustee Member, Go Riverwalk
- Chair, Broward County Bar Association Technology Committee (2015)
- Representative, 17th Circuit, Florida Bar Board of Governors Young Lawyers Division (2013-present)
- Chair, Technology Committee (2017-2018)
- Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee (2013-2015)
- Chair, Commission on Women (2015)
- Liaison to Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center (2013-present)
- The Florida Bar Committee on Technology (2016-present)
- Information Systems Security Association
- Broward County Christian Lawyers Association